Saturday, September 13, 2008

Crepes

Hi all,

we have a lot to post now that the summer is winding down. Eventually we will put up some pictures of our trip to Germany, 2nd anniversary, Karina's wedding, and other adventures we've had over the last couple months. But instead of waiting for us to get organized and do them all in order, I think I'll just post something now and then do the rest as the pictures trickle in.

Heike and my new thing is to have breakfast every morning. It worked very well this week, especially with the jet lag. (it's easy to have breakfast in the morning when you wake up wide awake at 6am). I think we'll have more problems as we get over the jet lag, but the idea is to establish the pattern now and hope for the best. On that front, this morning I got up early and made crepes. I just purchased a really cool book (cool if you like to cook) "Jaques Pepin's Complete Techniques." This book goes through, step by step, how to do eveything in the kitchen. He's got recipes along with stuff like "How to truss a chicken 3 different ways." Anyway, I decided to try the crepe recipe that he suggested.

Recipe:
1.5 cups all purpose flour
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1.5 cups milk
2/3 stick sweet butter, melted
1/2 cup cold water

Combine everything but half the liquid, whisk, add the rest of the liquid (I forgot the water), whisk until it has the consistency of light syrup, cook like pancakes.

The two interesting tricks here were:
1. Use melted butter in the batter. This way you don't have to grease and regrease the pan. The butter in the batter combined with using a non-stick pan is enough so that nothing sticks. None of the 20 crepes I made stuck at all!
2. To disloge the crepe from the pan, let it cook over medium (8 on my electric stove) heat for 50 seconds, then bang the pan on a dishcloth on the counter. Really hit it, and the crepe will loosen. Then wow your friends by flipping it in the air.

Delicious. Eat them sweet or savory.

No comments:

Post a Comment