Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sundays with the Globe

On Sundays I like to wake up, go down to Darwins get a couple of coffees and the Globe. I like to then come upstairs, put on NPR and read the paper. Basically I like a whole morning of no computer and no TV. Unfortunately, the radio doesn't turn on anymore. I had bought this great Onkyo T15 analog radio, and now it just doesn't turn on. The question is whether to get it fixed (at least $50) or buy a new one. I really like it but it only cost $100...so I'm torn. Anyway, back to the paper. I don't really read the news sections of it, but I really like the local sections. It does a good job of letting me know what is going on in Boston. There are always good ideas of museums, art shows, concerts etc. This week there was a spot about weird museums. I guess there is a guy in Portland with a museum of Cryptozoology in his house. Heike sounded interested...maybe we'll go.

Two weeks ago the Globe magazine had a great recipe. Cooking with grapes. I don't usually like mixing fruit in with real food, but we had a bunch of grapes around, and I thought we could try it. Since then, we've had it twice. We hardly ever repeat a recipe, so you know it must be good.





In case the link goes away at some point I'm pasting the recipe here:

SAUTEED CHICKEN CUTLETS WITH LEMON, CAPERS, AND GRAPES
SERVES 6

1 large lemon
1/3 cup flour
6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, 6 to 8 ounces each, cut in half horizontally to make 12 thin cutlets
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 large shallot, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup homemade or packaged low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup (about 6 ounces) green seedless grapes, halved
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Cut the lemon in half crosswise; cut one half into thin slices and squeeze about 2 tablespoons juice from the other half; set the slices and juice aside. Place the flour in a wide, shallow dish (such as a pie plate). Dry cutlets and season each liberally with salt and pepper. Working one at a time, dredge each cutlet in flour, shake off excess, and set on a large wire rack.

In a large, heavy skillet set over medium-high heat, heat 2 teaspoons of oil until it just begins to smoke. Add 4 cutlets to the pan and cook, undisturbed, until bottoms are lightly browned, about 2 1/2 minutes, then turn cutlets over and cook until second sides turn white, about 30 seconds. Transfer cooked cutlets to a plate, tent with foil, and keep warm. Add 2 more teaspoons of oil to the empty pan and repeat process to cook 4 more cutlets; finish with 2 more teaspoons of oil and the remaining 4 cutlets (adjust the burner if the pan drippings darken or burn).

Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 teaspoon of oil to pan if it looks dry. Add the shallot and cook, stirring constantly, to soften, about 40 seconds. Add wine and broth, increase heat to high, and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add lemon slices and any accumulated chicken juices and boil vigorously until the consistency is slightly syrupy and the volume is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add lemon juice, grapes, capers, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste, stir to distribute, and simmer until grapes are heated through, about 2 minutes. Off heat, add the butter and stir to incorporate it into the sauce. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary. Add the parsley and stir to distribute, then spoon the sauce over the cutlets, and serve at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment