Landing into Broome is quite a view. You can see the Great Northern Highway, a single strip of asphalt cutting in an absolute straight line paralleling the ocean. As far as you can see is red dirt, the one road, and the ocean. Getting off the plane (this is one of those airports where you take the stairs down to the tarmac) you feel the full power of the outback. It was 5pm, about 95 degrees and 80+% humidity. Phew, let's get into the airport to get out of this heat. The "airport" is a single room with a place to collect your bags, about 150 people, and no air conditioning. Luckily our bags came out quickly and we were able to escape the sauna.
The car rental agency that we rented from was not allowed to pick people up in the airport for some reason, so the nice man told me to simply "Walk out of the front gate of the airport and meet him outside." When he told me this, I was picturing Logan airport, and was wondering what the front gate would be (near the tunnel?). "It's OK, the Broome airport is fairly small," he reassured me. Sure enough, we were able to walk out and find the cars. Two white, Mitsubishi Outbacks parked next to each other. But...no keys. No agent. Crap. Friends say, "Oh we should just call them." I say, "That'd be great, but I brought no numbers/directions/anything useful with me." Luckily they had their number at the airport and we were able to contact them.
The cars. White cars are not the best choice for the outback...get a red car. Monbill's car was pristine and had no scratches, but did not come with unlimited miles! Um...you know we're driving to Perth. My car however, had scratches on the doors, on the trunk, a small crack on the windshield, and a hole (!) on the underbody. What are you going to say when you're out in the middle of no where, and there are probably no other SUVs in Broome anyway. "Great! Car looks good. I'm sure we'll drive it 3000km with no problems"
And we are off. Monbill, living in Bermuda, has taught him to drive on the left. Dan just tries to follow. On the way to the Hotel I think I put my windshield wipers on 6 times. The hotel, which was gorgeous, did not, however, have a sign. No where on the Hotel Mercure, did it say so. Brent happened to notice a sign for "Reception", where he cautiously walked in.
OK, car--check, place to sleep--check, Did I mention it is Thanksgiving Day? Let's find some dinner. Through the use of the Lonely Planet on a Kindle we found a place called Matso's (http://www.matsos.com.au/about-us) . Great place. Make their own beer, have great food. A real Broome dining experience. Note : The further from civilization you are, the more expensive everything is. Fish and Chips? A$35.
All right. This has been a long day. Let's get some sleep 'cause tomorrow we're driving to Pardoo.
I like your blogs new look. Did you include a link to www.cheapsnobs.com? :)
ReplyDelete